Could the injuries of these Dillsboro apartment residents have been prevented and are justice and compensation available to the victims?
Two people were transported to the hospital after they “possibly suffered from carbon monoxide poisoning in an apartment building” Sunday, March 31, 2019, according to EagleCountryOnline.com. According to the news report, “The Dillsboro Fire Department responded to the four-unit apartment building on Shae Lane. They found there were high levels of carbon monoxide.” The Assistant Fire Chief attributed the gas leak to a “gas water heater” and advised the owner of the apartment building to correct the problem according to the news story.
The media report indicates the victims were in stable condition.
Our Legal Take
As the fire department continues its investigation, premises liability attorneys with The Murray Law Firm question whether a lack of emergency evacuation procedures and fire safety measures at the complex may have contributed to this incident.
- When was the last gas and utility inspection performed?
- When were carbon monoxide detectors last inspected and updated?
- What safety measures, such as working carbon monoxide detectors and frequent utility inspections, were implemented by the apartment complex owner prior to this incident?
As details of this tragedy continue to emerge, The Murray Law Firm suggests that it is possible that the apartment complex owners or managers failed to undertake proper safety measures to protect those residents and guests legally on the premises. By law, the owner and management company of an apartment complex have a duty to protect residents and to keep the premises safe. If the owner or manager fails in this duty, they may be held civilly liable for any injuries or wrongful deaths that occur as a consequence.
Should the owner or management of the apartment complex be found at fault, the victims may elect to hold the owner and management company civilly liable for their injuries. Financial recovery for such claims could be substantial.
As insurance companies and unscrupulous property owners are often more concerned with limiting their financial exposure in these incidents, it is crucial that the victims retain an experienced premises liability firm as soon as possible to ensure all evidence, such as a faulty carbon monoxide alarm or a poor evacuation plan, is preserved and the victims’ best interests are protected. The Murray Law Firm has extensive experience in premises liability and apartment negligence cases, such as this, and we offer our legal expertise, if needed.
If anyone has information to share, or if anyone is seeking information regarding this incident, please contact us at 888.842.1616.
We’ve Recovered Millions for Victims of Apartment Safety Negligence…Contact us Now for a Free Consultation.
The Murray Law Firm has an extensive and successful record representing victims of safety and security negligence. We have recovered millions of dollars for our Clients, and recently obtained a $29.25 million dollar verdict for a victim of an unsafe property. We offer our legal assistance, if desired.
We represent our Clients on a contingency agreement, which generally means that no fees or payments are owed until and unless we recover. Anyone seeking further information or legal representation is encouraged to contact us via e-mail (click here) or by telephone at 888.842.1616. Consultations are free and confidential.
Click Here to Find Out How to Choose the Right Attorney
DISCLAIMERS: The information contained in this post is from secondary sources and may therefore contain inaccuracies. We will gladly correct or remove this post upon request. The material contained in this post is not intended to constitute legal advice. As each Client is unique, please contact us for a free consultation on your particular case. “Contingent attorneys’ fees” refers only to those fees charged by attorneys for their legal services. Such fees are not permitted in all types of cases. Court costs and other additional expenses of legal action usually must be paid by the client.