Did negligent security contribute to the shooting death at a San Antonio apartment complex and are justice and compensation available to the victim’s family? Read Our Legal Take below to find out what legal options are available.
One person is dead and another was injured after a shooting at a San Antonio, TX apartment complex early Wednesday morning, September 16, 2020.
As reported by KENS5.com, “[t]he incident happened just before 4 a.m. Wednesday in the 4600 block of Pecan Valley Drive.”
According to the report, “[o]fficers said they were at a gas station when they heard multiple gunshots.”
KSAT.com is reporting, “[o]fficers said they found [the suspect] crouched down behind a building, not far from the victim’s body, wearing a bulletproof vest and holding an automatic rifle.”
According to KSAT.com, “Frederick Buhler, 49, was pronounced dead at the scene…A second man was shot as he was sleeping in his apartment. He was transported to a hospital in stable condition.”
Per the report, “[the suspect] had been involved in an earlier fight and had returned to the apartment complex.”
The investigation is ongoing.
OUR LEGAL TAKE
Residents and guests of apartment complexes have a right to feel safe and secure while on the premises. The level of security provided at the apartment complex is of significance, and is a relevant consideration when analyzing whether this shooting may have been prevented. The following questions are also important in assessing whether this incident may have been avoided:
- What security measures were in place to deter crime and protect the victim at the time of the shooting?
- Have there been prior incidents of violence on the property, and were any security measures added after any prior incidents?
- Was the complex aware of any suspicious persons or suspicious activity on the property prior to the shooting?
Property owners are generally required to protect against foreseeable harm to anyone and everyone legally on the premises. Should the investigation into this incident reveal facts that establish that the apartment complex owner or management lacked adequate security to protect its residents and visitors, the family of Frederick Buhler may seek justice and elect to pursue legal claims and substantial compensation for their loss. In addition, any injured victim may seek justice and elect to pursue legal claims and substantial compensation for their injuries.
The Murray Law Firm has extensive and successful experience in handling security negligence claims on behalf of victims and their families, and suggests that an immediate, unbiased inspection of the property will need to be performed so as to limit evidence from being altered, damaged or destroyed. The complexities of pursuing a negligent security case are well understood by the legal team at The Murray Law Firm, and it is imperative that the family of Frederick Buhler and any injured victim retain a capable law firm who will work without delay to protect their interests.
OUR RESULTS: OVER $100 MILLION IN VERDICTS AND SETTLEMENTS FOR OUR CLIENTS
The Murray Law Firm has a long history of representing victims of violence and security negligence. We have obtained over $100 Million in verdicts and settlements for our Clients, including a $29.25 million dollar verdict for a victim of an unsafe property. We offer our legal assistance, if desired.
We represent our Clients on a contingency agreement, which generally means that no fees or payments are owed until and unless we recover. Anyone seeking further information or legal representation is encouraged to contact us via e-mail (click here) or by telephone at 888.842.1616. Consultations are free and confidential.