Could the shooting at an Akron bar have been prevented and are justice and compensation available to the victim? Read Our Legal Take below to find out what legal options are available.
A man was shot at an Akron, OH bar early Sunday morning, March 6, 2022, leaving one man injured.
As reported by Cleveland.com, “[o]fficers were called to the 800 block of Upson Street after receiving reports of a shooting at the bar.”
Cleveland19.com is reporting, “a 33-year-old man was injured…Akron police said the victim was not on scene when officers arrived.”
According to the report, “[a] security guard had taken [the victim] to Akron City Hospital for treatment of non-life threatening injuries.”
The investigation is ongoing.
Our Legal Take
Bar patrons have a right to feel safe and secure while on the premises they are visiting. The level of security provided at the bar is of significance, and is a relevant consideration when analyzing whether this shooting may have been prevented. The following questions are also important in assessing whether this incident may have been avoided:
- Have prior incidents of violence been reported on or near the property?
- Was the bar aware of any suspicious activity prior to the shooting?
- Does the bar have a protocol to check guests for deadly weapons prior to entering the establishment?
- What security measures, such as bright lighting, visible surveillance cameras, and security personnel, were in place to deter crime and protect the victim at the time of the shooting?
Property owners are generally required to protect against foreseeable harm to anyone and everyone legally on the premises. Should the investigation into this incident reveal facts that establish that the bar owner or management lacked adequate security to protect its visitors, the victim may seek justice and elect to pursue legal claims and substantial compensation for his injuries.
The Murray Law Firm has extensive and successful experience in handling security negligence claims on behalf of victims and their families, and suggests that an immediate, unbiased inspection of the property will need to be performed so as to limit evidence from being altered, damaged or destroyed. The complexities of pursuing a negligent security case are well understood by the legal team at The Murray Law Firm, and it is imperative that the victim retain a capable law firm who will work without delay to protect his interests.
OUR RESULTS: OVER $125 MILLION IN VERDICTS AND SETTLEMENTS FOR OUR CLIENTS
The Murray Law Firm has a long history of representing victims of violence and security negligence. We have obtained over $125 Million in verdicts and settlements for our Clients, including:
- A $29.25 million dollar verdict for a victim of an unsafe property.
- Settlement in excess of $10 million dollars for a victim of gun violence at an apartment complex.
- Settlement in excess of $10 million dollars for a family who lost a loved one to gun violence at a commercial property.
We offer our legal assistance, if desired. We represent our Clients on a contingency agreement, which generally means that no fees or payments are owed until and unless we recover. Anyone seeking further information or legal representation is encouraged to contact us via e-mail (click here) or by telephone at 888-842-1616. Consultations are free and confidential.