Did negligent security contribute to the shooting at a Toledo bar and are justice and compensation available to the victim? Read Our Legal Take below to find out what legal options are available.
One man was injured after a shooting at a Toledo parking lot early Thursday morning, September 8, 2022.
As reported by NBC24.com, “[a]fter 2 a.m. [officers] were dispatched to [a bar] in West Toledo where 42-year-old Brandon Frezzell had sustained a gunshot wound in the chest.”
Local10.com reported, “[t]hat dispute spilled outside into the parking lot, at which point one of those men then pulled out a gun and started firing. The other man…was also armed, and returned fire.”
13ABC.com is reporting, “Frezzell was taken to the hospital with a gunshot wound to his chest. He’s listed in serious, but stable condition.”
JUSTICE AVAILABLE? OUR LEGAL TAKE
Bar and parking lot guests have a right to feel safe and secure while on the premises. The level of security provided at the property is of significance, and is a relevant consideration when analyzing whether this shooting may have been prevented. The following questions are also important in assessing whether this incident may have been avoided:
- What security measures were in place to deter crime and protect the victim at the time of the shooting?
- Does the property owner or management have a protocol to check guests for deadly weapons prior to entering the establishment?
- Have there been prior incidents of violence on the property, and were any security measures added after any prior incidents?
- Was the property aware of any suspicious persons or suspicious activity on the property prior to the shooting?
- Have prior incidents of violence been reported on or near the property?
- Were any security personnel at the property?
- Have there been prior incidents of violence on the property?
- Were security measures added after any prior incidents?
- What protocol was in place to deter crime and protect the victims at the time of the shooting?
- Have authorities been to the property on prior occasions?
Property owners are generally required to protect against foreseeable harm to anyone and everyone legally on the premises. Should the investigation into this incident reveal facts that establish that the property owner or management lacked adequate security to protect its residents and visitors, Brandon Frezzell may seek justice and elect to pursue legal claims and substantial compensation for his injuries.
The Murray Law Firm has extensive and successful experience in handling security negligence claims on behalf of victims and their families, and suggests that an immediate, unbiased inspection of the property will need to be performed so as to limit evidence from being altered, damaged or destroyed. The complexities of pursuing a negligent security case are well understood by the legal team at The Murray Law Firm, and it is imperative that Brandon Frezzell retain a capable law firm who will work without delay to protect their interests.
OUR RESULTS: OVER $125 MILLION IN VERDICTS AND SETTLEMENTS FOR OUR CLIENTS
The Murray Law Firm has a long history of representing victims of violence and security negligence. We have obtained over $125 Million in verdicts and settlements for our Clients, including:
- A $29.25 million dollar verdict for a victim of an unsafe property.
- Settlement in excess of $10 million dollars for a victim of gun violence at an apartment complex.
- Settlement in excess of $10 million dollars for a family who lost a loved one to gun violence at a commercial property.
We offer our legal assistance, if desired. We represent our Clients on a contingency agreement, which generally means that no fees or payments are owed until and unless we recover. Anyone seeking further information or legal representation is encouraged to contact us via e-mail (click here) or by telephone at 888-842-1616. Consultations are free and confidential.