Could the shooting at a Furman nightclub have been prevented and are justice and compensation available to the victims? Read Our Legal Take below to find out what legal options are available.
Gunfire rang out at a Furman, SC nightclub early Sunday morning, April 17, 2022, leaving at least nine people injured.
As reported by WJCL.com, “[t]he shooting took place at Cara’s Lounge along Ashley Circle Road in Furman at around 2:30 a.m.”
Counton2.com is reporting, “[a]t least nine people were injured. No fatalities are reported at this time.”
According to WTOC.com, “[t]he lounge was hosting an Easter bash when the shooting took place. Visitors were both inside and outside the building but when they heard the gunfire, everyone ran away.”
The shooting remains under investigation.
Our Legal Take
Nightclub patrons have a right to feel safe and secure while on the premises they are visiting. The level of security provided at the nightclub is of significance, and is a relevant consideration when analyzing whether this shooting may have been prevented. The following questions are also important in assessing whether this incident may have been avoided:
- Have prior incidents of violence been reported on or near the property?
- Does the nightclub have a protocol to check guests for deadly weapons prior to entering the establishment?
- Was the nightclub aware of any suspicious activity prior to the shooting?
- What nightclub security measures, such as bright lighting, visible surveillance cameras, and security personnel, were in place to deter crime and protect the victim and others at the time of the shooting?
Property owners are generally required to protect against foreseeable harm to anyone and everyone legally on the premises. Should the investigation into this incident reveal facts that establish that the nightclub owner or management lacked adequate security to protect its visitors, the victims may seek justice and elect to pursue legal claims and substantial compensation for their injuries.
The Murray Law Firm has extensive and successful experience in handling security negligence claims on behalf of victims and their families, and suggests that an immediate, unbiased inspection of the property will need to be performed so as to limit evidence from being altered, damaged or destroyed. The complexities of pursuing a negligent security case are well understood by the legal team at The Murray Law Firm, and it is imperative that the victims retain a capable law firm who will work without delay to protect their interests.
OUR RESULTS: OVER $125 MILLION IN VERDICTS AND SETTLEMENTS FOR OUR CLIENTS
The Murray Law Firm has a long history of representing victims of violence and security negligence. We have obtained over $125 Million in verdicts and settlements for our Clients, including:
- A $29.25 million dollar verdict for a victim of an unsafe property.
- Settlement in excess of $10 million dollars for a victim of gun violence at an apartment complex.
- Settlement in excess of $10 million dollars for a family who lost a loved one to gun violence at a commercial property.
We offer our legal assistance, if desired. We represent our Clients on a contingency agreement, which generally means that no fees or payments are owed until and unless we recover. Anyone seeking further information or legal representation is encouraged to contact us via e-mail (click here) or by telephone at 888-842-1616. Consultations are free and confidential.
Click Here to Find Out How to Choose the Right Attorney