Did negligent security contribute to the shooting at a Clarksdale nightclub and are justice and compensation available to the victim’s family and injured victims? Read Our Legal Take below to find out what legal options are available.
One person is dead and two others were injured after a shooting at a Clarksdale, MS nightclub Friday, Feb 24, 2023.
As reported by ActionNews5.com, “[o]n the night of February 24, police responded to a call regarding multiple people being shot at a nightclub.”
According to the report, “[o]nce the officers arrived on the scene, they reported finding a man who had been shot in the stomach inside of the club. There were also three gunshot victims that were escorted to a nearby hospital some time before the police arrived.”
WREG.com is reporting, “[t]he shooting initially left a woman and two men wounded, but Clarksdale Police said Thursday that one of the victims died Thursday morning at a Memphis hospital.”
Per the report, “[the suspect] faces a murder charge and two counts of aggravated assault in the…shooting at the CELEB club.”
The investigation is ongoing.
IS JUSTICE AVAILABLE? OUR LEGAL TAKE
Nightclub guests have a right to feel safe and secure while on the premises. The level of security provided at the property is of significance, and is a relevant consideration when analyzing whether this shooting may have been prevented. The following questions are also important in assessing whether this incident may have been avoided:
- Have prior incidents of violence been reported on or near the property?
- Was the property owner or manager aware of any suspicious activity prior to the shooting?
- Were any security personnel at the property?
- Were security measures added after any prior incidents?
- What protocol was in place to deter crime and protect the victims at the time of the shooting?
- Have authorities been to the property on prior occasions?
- Does the property owner or management have a protocol to check guests for deadly weapons prior to entering the establishment?
Property owners are generally required to protect against foreseeable harm to anyone and everyone legally on the premises. Should the investigation into this incident reveal facts that establish that the property owner or management lacked adequate security to protect its residents and visitors, the deceased victim’s family may seek justice and elect to pursue legal claims and substantial compensation for their loss. In addition, any injured victims may seek justice and elect to pursue legal claims and substantial compensation for their loss.
The Murray Law Firm has extensive and successful experience in handling security negligence claims on behalf of victims and their families, and suggests that an immediate, unbiased inspection of the property will need to be performed so as to limit evidence from being altered, damaged or destroyed. The complexities of pursuing a negligent security case are well understood by the legal team at The Murray Law Firm, and it is imperative that the deceased victim’s family and any injured victims retain a capable law firm who will work without delay to protect their interests.
OUR RESULTS: OVER $125 MILLION IN VERDICTS AND SETTLEMENTS FOR OUR CLIENTS
The Murray Law Firm has a long history of representing victims of violence and security negligence. We have obtained over $125 Million in verdicts and settlements for our Clients, including:
- A $29.25 million dollar verdict for a victim of an unsafe property.
- Settlement in excess of $10 million dollars for a victim of gun violence at an apartment complex.
- Settlement in excess of $10 million dollars for a family who lost a loved one to gun violence at a commercial property.
We offer our legal assistance, if desired. We represent our Clients on a contingency agreement, which generally means that no fees or payments are owed until and unless we recover. Anyone seeking further information or legal representation is encouraged to contact us via e-mail (click here) or by telephone at 888-842-1616. Consultations are free and confidential.
How to Choose and Hire the Right Attorney (Click Here)