Did negligent security contribute to the shooting at a Peoria bar and are justice and compensation available to the victims? Read Our Legal Take below to find out what legal options are available.
Three people were injured after a shooting at a Peoria, IL bar early Monday morning, March 13, 2023.
As reported by PJstar.com, “deputies were called to KG’s Bar and Grill, 2702 W. Farmington Road, at about 1:40 a.m. on a report of people being shot.”
25NewsNow.com is reporting, “[u]pon arriving, officers found a large number of vehicles leaving the parking lot, with no victims found. Information provided stated the shooting victims left in private vehicles to get to a local hospital after a fight broke out in the parking lot.”
According to the report, “[t]hree shooting victims were later found at a local hospital, two women and a man with non-life-threatening gunshot wounds to their legs.”
A Peoria County Sheriff stated in the report that “there has been an increase in calls to the bar in the past several months. He also says he’s been frustrated with the bar owner and his lack of cooperation when an incident occurs there.”
The investigation is ongoing.
IS JUSTICE AVAILABLE? OUR LEGAL TAKE
Bar guests have a right to feel safe and secure while on the premises. The level of security provided at the property is of significance, and is a relevant consideration when analyzing whether this shooting may have been prevented. The following questions are also important in assessing whether this incident may have been avoided:
- Have prior incidents of violence been reported on or near the property?
- Were any security personnel at the property?
- Were security measures added after any prior incidents?
- Was the property owner or manager aware of any suspicious persons or suspicious activity on the property prior to the shooting?
- Have authorities been to the property on prior occasions?
- Does the property owner or management have a protocol to check guests for deadly weapons prior to entering the establishment?
Property owners are generally required to protect against foreseeable harm to anyone and everyone legally on the premises. Should the investigation into this incident reveal facts that establish that the property owner or management lacked adequate security to protect its residents and visitors, the victims may seek justice and elect to pursue legal claims and substantial compensation for his injuries.
The Murray Law Firm has extensive and successful experience in handling security negligence claims on behalf of victims and their families, and suggests that an immediate, unbiased inspection of the property will need to be performed so as to limit evidence from being altered, damaged or destroyed. The complexities of pursuing a negligent security case are well understood by the legal team at The Murray Law Firm, and it is imperative that the victims retain a capable law firm who will work without delay to protect his interests.
OUR RESULTS: OVER $125 MILLION IN VERDICTS AND SETTLEMENTS FOR OUR CLIENTS
The Murray Law Firm has a long history of representing victims of violence and security negligence. We have obtained over $125 Million in verdicts and settlements for our Clients, including:
- A $29.25 million dollar verdict for a victim of an unsafe property.
- Settlement in excess of $10 million dollars for a victim of gun violence at an apartment complex.
- Settlement in excess of $10 million dollars for a family who lost a loved one to gun violence at a commercial property.
We offer our legal assistance, if desired. We represent our Clients on a contingency agreement, which generally means that no fees or payments are owed until and unless we recover. Anyone seeking further information or legal representation is encouraged to contact us via e-mail (click here) or by telephone at 888-842-1616. Consultations are free and confidential.