Could the shooting outside a Hollywood Hookah bar have been prevented and are justice and compensation available to the victim’s family and injured victim? Read Our Legal Take below to find out what legal options are available.
Gunfire rang out outside a Hollywood, CA hookah bar Wednesday afternoon, Jan 11, 2023, leaving one man dead and one other injured.
As reported by FoxLA.com, “[t]he Los Angeles Police Department responded to a call of a shooting at the Sky Hookah Lounge on Victory Boulevard around 3:45 p.m. Wednesday.”
According to the report, “[t]he deadly shooting is believed to have stemmed from an argument taking place inside the hookah lounge and then at least four men took the altercation outside.”
CBSNews.com is reporting, “[o]ne of the victims, who suffered multiple gunshot wounds was rushed to a nearby hospital where he was later pronounced dead. The second victim is in an unknown condition.”
According to FoxLA.com, “Wednesday’s news marks the second time in the last two and a half months that a shooting broke out in the same business.” CBSNews.com also reports that “[a] shooting occurred at the same location back in October, which left one man dead and another injured.”
The investigation is ongoing.
Is Justice Available? Our Legal Take
Bar and parking patrons have a right to feel safe and secure while on the premises they are visiting. The level of security provided at the property is of significance, and is a relevant consideration when analyzing whether this shooting may have been prevented. The following questions are also important in assessing whether this incident may have been avoided:
- Have prior incidents of violence been reported on or near the property?
- Was the property owner or manager aware of any suspicious activity prior to the shooting?
- Were any security personnel at the property?
- Were security measures added after any prior incidents?
- What protocol was in place to deter crime and protect the victims at the time of the shooting?
- Was the property owner or manager aware of any suspicious persons or suspicious activity on the property prior to the shooting?
- Have authorities been to the property on prior occasions?
- Does the property owner or management have a protocol to check guests for deadly weapons prior to entering the establishment?
Property owners are generally required to protect against foreseeable harm to anyone and everyone legally on the premises. Should the investigation into this incident reveal facts that establish that the property owner or management lacked adequate security to protect its visitors, the family of the deceased victim may seek justice and elect to pursue legal claims and substantial compensation for their loss. In addition, any injured victim may seek justice and elect to pursue legal claims and substantial compensation for their injuries.
The Murray Law Firm has extensive and successful experience in handling security negligence claims on behalf of victims and their families, and suggests that an immediate, unbiased inspection of the property will need to be performed so as to limit evidence from being altered, damaged or destroyed. The complexities of pursuing a negligent security case are well understood by the legal team at The Murray Law Firm, and it is imperative that the family of the deceased victim and any injured victim retain a capable law firm who will work without delay to protect their interests.
OUR RESULTS: OVER $125 MILLION IN VERDICTS AND SETTLEMENTS FOR OUR CLIENTS
The Murray Law Firm has a long history of representing victims of violence and security negligence. We have obtained over $125 Million in verdicts and settlements for our Clients, including:
- A $29.25 million dollar verdict for a victim of an unsafe property.
- Settlement in excess of $10 million dollars for a victim of gun violence at an apartment complex.
- Settlement in excess of $10 million dollars for a family who lost a loved one to gun violence at a commercial property.
We offer our legal assistance, if desired. We represent our Clients on a contingency agreement, which generally means that no fees or payments are owed until and unless we recover. Anyone seeking further information or legal representation is encouraged to contact us via e-mail (click here) or by telephone at 888-842-1616. Consultations are free and confidential.
How to Choose and Hire the Right Attorney (Click Here)