Did negligent security contribute to the shooting at a Houston nightclub and are justice and compensation available to the victims? Read Our Legal Take below to find out what legal options are available.
Three teens were injured after a shooting at a Houston, TX nightclub early Saturday morning, May 6, 2023.
As reported by Fox26Houston.com, “[the shooting] happened around 12:30 a.m. in the 5200 block of Griggs and Martin Luther King Blvd. That’s where, investigators say, three teenagers were found: 1 male, and 2 females with gunshot injuries.”
KHOU.com is reporting, “Houston police said the three victims, two teen girls, and a 17-year-old boy, were leaving the event when they came upon a fistfight outside the club. The teens ran for cover inside a car when someone pulled a gun and opened fire.”
According to the report, “[t]he girls were both hit in the torso, while the boy was hit in the leg. Police said the girls drove themselves to the hospital while the boy stayed at the scene. When police arrived at the scene, they applied a tourniquet to his leg, and he was taken to the hospital.”
The investigation is ongoing.
IS JUSTICE AVAILABLE? OUR LEGAL TAKE
Bar guests have a right to feel safe and secure while on the premises. The level of security provided at the property is of significance, and is a relevant consideration when analyzing whether this shooting may have been prevented. The following questions are also important in assessing whether this incident may have been avoided:
- Have prior incidents of violence been reported on or near the property?
- Were any security personnel at the property?
- Were security measures added after any prior incidents?
- Was the property owner or manager aware of any suspicious persons or suspicious activity on the property prior to the shooting?
- Have authorities been to the property on prior occasions?
- Does the property owner or management have a protocol to check guests for deadly weapons prior to entering the establishment?
Property owners are generally required to protect against foreseeable harm to anyone and everyone legally on the premises. Should the investigation into this incident reveal facts that establish that the property owner or management lacked adequate security to protect its residents and visitors, the victims may seek justice and elect to pursue legal claims and substantial compensation for their injuries.
The Murray Law Firm has extensive and successful experience in handling security negligence claims on behalf of victims and their families, and suggests that an immediate, unbiased inspection of the property will need to be performed so as to limit evidence from being altered, damaged or destroyed. The complexities of pursuing a negligent security case are well understood by the legal team at The Murray Law Firm, and it is imperative that the victims retain a capable law firm who will work without delay to protect their interests.
OUR RESULTS: OVER $125 MILLION IN VERDICTS AND SETTLEMENTS FOR OUR CLIENTS
The Murray Law Firm has a long history of representing victims of violence and security negligence. We have obtained over $125 Million in verdicts and settlements for our Clients, including:
- A $29.25 million dollar verdict for a victim of an unsafe property.
- Settlement in excess of $10 million dollars for a victim of gun violence at an apartment complex.
- Settlement in excess of $10 million dollars for a family who lost a loved one to gun violence at a commercial property.
We offer our legal assistance, if desired. We represent our Clients on a contingency agreement, which generally means that no fees or payments are owed until and unless we recover. Anyone seeking further information or legal representation is encouraged to contact us via e-mail (click here) or by telephone at 888-842-1616. Consultations are free and confidential.